The NHS wants to give people better ways to see their personal health information online. We know that people want to be able to access their health records. It can help you see test results faster. It also lets you read and review notes from your appointments in your own time.
We’re now letting you see all the information within your health record automatically. If you are over 16 and have an online account, such as through the NHS App, NHS website, or another online primary care service, you will now be able to see all future notes and health records from your doctor (GP). Some people can already access this feature, this won’t change for you.
This means that you will be able to see notes from your appointments, as well as test results and any letters that are saved on your records. This only applies to records from your doctor (GP), not from hospitals or other specialists. You will only be able to see information from 1st November. For most people, access will be automatic, and you won’t need to do anything.
Your doctor (GP) may talk to you to discuss test results before you are able to see some of your information on the app. Your doctor (GP) may also talk to you before your full records access is given to make sure that having access is of benefit to you. There might be some sensitive information on your record, so you should talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.
These changes only apply to people with online accounts. If you do not want an online account, you can still access your health records by requesting this information through reception. The changes also only apply to personal information about you. If you are a carer and would like to see information about someone you care for, speak to reception staff.
The NHS App, website and other online services are all very secure, so no one is able to access your information except you. You’ll need to make sure you protect your login details. Don’t share your password with anyone as they will then have access to your personal information.
If you do not want to see your health record, or if you would like more information about these changes, please speak to your GP or reception staff.
What is the NHS App?
The NHS App is changing the way in which patients throughout the UK can take control of their health and care. Open to anyone over the age of 13 with an NHS account, the App has a range of features that benefit users, saving them time and uncecessary visits to healthcare settings, all through a single application.
Features and benefits include*:
- Access to health and care records
- Ordering repeat prescriptions
- Securely messaging healthcare professionasl
- Monitoring and tracking symptoms
- Access to 111 Online health information
- Managing appointments
- Online consultations
- Giving family and friends proxy access to your records where needed
(*Some features may not be used by all practices – check with your doctors if some functionality is not turned on)
Further to this, for users in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire, additional functionality is included within the NHS App throughout a third-party service called Patients Know Best (PKB). You can register for PKB within the app, and this gives you additional access to health and care records, results from tests and consultations, and the ability to receive appointment letters through the app rather than in the post.
All of your information is secure and confidential through the NHS App and Patients Know Best.
How to register for the NHS App
- Download the NHS App
- Set up your NHS login
- Prove who you are – you only need to do this once to register
- Provide your postcode – it must be the one registered with your GP
- Your information will then be checked, and a confirmation email received in 2-3 hours.
More detailed information on this process can be found at https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-app/
How to register with Patients Know Best (PKB)
- In the NHS App, go to “View your messages” or tap the messages icon on the toolbar
- Open “Consultations, events and messages” and agree to the statement
- Enter your email address and create a strong password
- Confirm by hitting the “Register” button – you will now be able to access your PKB health record and services – seamlessly integrated to enable you to take control of your healthcare.